1. ‘Twas the night before Christmas…
2. No, wait. ‘Twas the early morning of Christmas…
3. Actually, uh oh. ‘Twas the hour before Christmas…
4. Wait, what time is it? Oh God. ‘Twas the MINUTE BEFORE CHRISTMAS…
5. WHEN ALL THROUGH THE HOUSE, NOT A GIFT HAD BEEN BOUGHT, NOT EVE—
— you know what, NEVER MIND, there’s no time. Just buy one of these subscription and/or delivery services and your family member(s), friend(s) or spouse won’t hate you. Too much.
Think of this as the deluxe, and at least a little bit surprising, 2013 equivalent of a last-minute magazine subscription.
Also: most people haven’t heard of these things. For all they know you’ve been planning to give these gifts ALL YEAR.
15. Stuff from people with good taste
Quarterly.co lets you subscribe to INTERESTING INTERNET HUMANS, in that they’ll send you surprise goodie boxes four times a year. There are tons of great people on here, like the folks who run FOOD52, FWD friend Joel Johnson, Reddit cofounder Alexis Ohanian, and the guys who started CoolHunting.
16. Pretty much anything else
Member.ly lets regular people make their own subscription delivery services, most of which are giftable and some of which are VERY specific. Like this one for old magazines. The site’s Twitter feed links to a lot more subscriptions created with the site.
17. Digital stuff
Hulu Plus, Netflix streaming, Spotify and Rdio are all PRETTY GOOD GIFTS. They won’t seem as personal or as novel as most of the above delivery services, but, like magazine or newspaper subscriptions — the old last-minute standbys — they will be appreciated.
- Donald Trump accused former Miss Universe Alicia Machado of conning Hillary Clinton in a Twitter rant Friday morning.
- World leaders hailed the legacy of former Israeli statesman Shimon Peres at his state funeral in Jerusalem.
- Anti-mafia police in Naples have recovered two Vincent van Gogh paintings that were stolen in Amsterdam 14 years ago.