1. This is King Albert II, Belgium’s 79-year-old monarch. He’s been on the throne for nearly 20 years.
On Wednesday, the King — Belgium’s sixth ever — gave a televised address announcing he would abdicate the throne to his son, an unprecedented move in the European country’s history.
“After a reign of 20 years I believe the moment is here to hand over the torch to the next generation,” Albert II said. “Prince Philippe is well prepared to succeed me.”
From the Associated Press:
Albert brought earthy charm and easygoing fun to the royalty after decades of stiff formality under Baudouin. But increasingly the years wore on him as he turned from a king with a love of sleek motorcycles into a frail monarch who sometimes relied on a walking stick.
3. Crown Prince Philippe is generally considered less fun and more “responsible.”
… Crown Prince Philippe, 53, has long been seen as awkward and reclusive.
“He was always faced with the dictum, ‘He’s not up to it.’ It still weighs on him,” [historian and author Marc Reynebeau] said …
[Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo] said that Prince Philip “has shown a great sense of responsibility in preparing” to succeed his father.
5. Philippe is set to take over on July 21.
- Mahershala Ali won Best Supporting Actor for his role in "Moonlight." He's the first Muslim actor to win an Oscar 🏆👏
- Philip Bilden, the businessman nominated by President Trump to be Secretary of the Navy, has withdrawn himself from consideration.
- Actor Bill Paxton has died at 61. He starred in classic films including "Twister," "Titanic," "Big Love," and "Aliens."
- The Nokia brick phone is making a comeback — reimagined with a colored screen, but the game Snake hasn't gone anywhere 🐍📲