Cozy Chicken And Dumplings
Here's a video that shows you how to make it:
2 tablespoons oil
2 pounds chicken breasts
1 large onion, diced
4 carrots, sliced to ¼ in half rings
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6 cups chicken broth
½ cup heavy cream
½ teaspoons dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 ½ frozen peas
4 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 ⅓ cups heavy cream
1. In a 6-quart dutch oven, cook chicken over medium-high heat until brown on both sides. Once chicken pieces are browned, remove and set aside.
2. Add carrot and onion and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and add butter and flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes to avoid lumps.
5. Add chicken and any accumulated juices back to dutch oven and stir to to coat in roux/vegetable mix. Add chicken broth, cream, thyme, and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Once soup is at a simmer, add frozen peas and cover.
6. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cream. Stir until mixture comes together into single mass of dough.
7. Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, form dough into small round balls about 1 inch in diameter (this dough mixture should yield 14-16 dumplings).
8. Place dough balls into simmering soup (making sure they don’t touch), and cover. Let soup simmer for 15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked (they should pass the toothpick test).
9. Ladle into bowl, giving 1-2 dumplings per serving.