1. Morris the cat, a proposed candidate in Xalapa, Mexico’s mayoral race, won’t be allowed to run because he’s not a human.
2. Morris’ owners, David Cruz and Sergio Chamorro, wanted Morris to be a candidate because they’re disillusioned with the empty promises of the city’s politicians.
3. Their campaign slogan was “Tired of voting for rats? Vote for a cat.”
4. Morris has more than 110,000 Facebook likes, more than any of the human candidates, but they still won’t let him run.
5. The people really like him. Here, a woman holds a poster reading “Help Morris. Only Morris can help.” as the streets flood.
6. Chamorro is asking voters to write in Morris or draw a cat on their ballots since they can’t actually vote for him.
7. A donkey and chicken are also running.
8. The election is July 7.
9. Good luck, Morris.
10. Previously: There’s A Cat Named Morris Running For Mayor In Mexico
- Notorious Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán has been extradited to the United States to face multiple charges.
- Donald Trump's pick for treasury secretary, Steve Mnuchin, was grilled by Democrats over his time leading a mortgage company that carried out over 36,000 foreclosures.
- Senegal says it has sent troops into Gambia in an attempt to remove President Yahya Jammeh, who has refused to step down since losing reelection in December.
- A majority of American adults get news from Facebook, according to a new survey by BuzzFeed, but only 18% of respondents said they trusted news from Facebook. ✋ 📰