2. 53 year old Canadian astronaut and undisputed king of zero gravity social media, Chris Hadfield announced his retirement yesterday afternoon. Most recently, Hadfield was commander of the International Space Station (the first Canadian to do so).
3. He posted this rather poignant photo of Canadian Space Agency employees welcoming him back from space.
To say goodbye to these good people today was much harder than I expected. @csa_asc
4. Through his tweets, photos, and videos, Hadfield brought us closer to the experience of living in space than anyone before. Let’s check out some of the highlights, shall we?
5. On board the International Space Station, Hadfield taught us how to laugh…
6. …and how to cry.
9. He hosted live chats with tons of school children across the country during his voyage.
11. He even gave us some quick photography tips…
12. …which was super cool because the photos he took of Earth were stunning:
St Lawrence’s mouth, where the Great Lakes pour into the sea.
Our Earth is just simply beautiful.
Sun getting ready to set into the horizon of Southwestern Australia.
African saltwater marsh - an incredibly complex ecosystem like nothing I’ve ever seen.
17. His tweets caught the attention of William Shatner…
@WilliamShatner Yes, Standard Orbit, Captain. And we’re detecting signs of life on the surface.
18. …so, of course, Hadfield hung out with him…in SPACE.
19. Oh, and he also made a totally rad, full-length music video covering David Bowie’s ‘Space Oddity’
20. All told, it appears Commander Hadfield didn’t waste a second up in space…and for that, we thank you!
21. Happy retirement, Chris!
- Today's the final day of the Democratic National Convention — Hillary Clinton is preparing for the biggest night of her life 🇺🇸
- Amazon's in its Prime. The company's profit rose 831% this quarter thanks to its growing cloud computing business ☁️💸
- #TBT: Old-school MTV is returning Aug. 1 with shows like "Daria," "Beavis & Butt-Head," "Cribs," and "Punk'd" 📺 🙌