Look at the hot, buttery potato. In its simplest state — with just a little butter and some kosher salt — that thing is going to be completely delicious. Now add herbs, cheese, meat, veggies, and you’ve got a great (and probably cheap, sequester-friendly) dinner on your hands. Before we get into all the topping possibilities, here’s how to make a baked potato:
• Use a russet potato — the dirty-looking brown kind, not the waxy kind — because it’s starchy and works best for this kind of thing.
• Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
• Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
• Scrub the potato clean under water, dry it with a towel, then poke a few holes through to the center of it with a fork.
• Bake the potato for one hour or until tender.
• Slice into it, fluff it up inside with a fork, then add butter, salt, and pepper.
Now you know the basics. Here are some other ideas.
Roasted grapes might seem a little strange, but their sweetness pairs with goat cheese really nicely. Find the recipe on How Sweet It Is.
Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, and some good olive oil tie it all together. Find the recipe here.
Bright, colorful, and super-healthy. Find the recipe here.
For a heartier meal. Find the recipe on The Gouda Life.
A classic combination. Find the recipe on A Couple Cooks.
Peas + curry + mustard seeds. Pretty next-level. Find the recipe here.
So much healthy stuff happening in this sweet potato. Find the recipe here.
Very Mediterranean. Find the recipe here.
Bookmark this recipe for summertime.
Lots of “fat-free” ingredients going on here, but they still look pretty good. Find the recipe here.
Baking potatoes with lots of sea salt makes them incredibly delicious. Find the recipe on 101 Cookbooks.
This is simple and delicious. Find the recipe here.
A potato is a great way to hold all that beef, beans, onions, and corn. Find the recipe here.
Underneath those tomatoes and avocados is a bed of fluffy eggs. Not a bad way to wake up, huh? Find the recipe here.
A cozy tomato stew swaddled in a sweet potato blanket. Find the recipe here.
There’s just so much going on in this potato. Find the recipe here.
This one’s basically a dessert — and obviously tastes just like Thanksgiving. Have it year-round with this recipe.
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- A jury failed to reach a verdict Friday in the case of Michael Slager, a former South Carolina officer charged in the fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- The CEO of Zenefits plans to step down after 10 months on the job. A legal mess nearly sank the company this year.
- A UFC fighter is asking people to crush apples with their bare hands 🍎💪