1. In 2002 Lalo Alcaraz made this cartoon.
5. Alcaraz said the reason it struck a chord with people is because more than a decade later, the issue of sports teams using redface and insensitive mascots is still going strong.
“The sad part is I have a friend whose daughter is half-Navajo. She posted on Facebook that this cartoon makes her real sad but the photo makes her even sadder,” Alcaraz said.
“I think the cartoon should make you mad, but the photo should make you madder. This was 12 years ago, and still, here we are.”
- Ex-London mayor Boris Johnson has dramatically ruled himself out of the race to be the next Conservative UK prime minister.
- The three suicide bombers behind Istanbul's airport attack were from Russia, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan, Turkish officials say.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸