1. The Oscar statues that will be handed out on Sunday, were inspired by an unlikely figure in history. A Mexican man who fled Mexico was recommended to be the nude model Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer’s art director needed.
2. Emilio Fernandez came to Los Angeles after a failed Mexican revolution in 1924. He was a screenwriter, actor and director, who befriended the actress Dolores del Rio. She was married to art director Cedric Gibbons, who designed the statue.
3. Mexicans have won only 11 of the more than 2,800 Oscars that have been handed out over the years.
5. Fernandez, who directed more than 40 movies, died in 1986.
- The White House refuses to deny a report saying Trump administration officials gave the House intelligence chairman classified information.
- The controversial HB2 "bathroom law" in North Carolina was partially repealed, but LGBT activists say the repeal legislation still allows discrimination.
- The disgraced former president of South Korea has been arrested. Park Geun-hye was forced out of office earlier this month in a corruption scandal.
- The trailer for the new film version of Stephen King's "It" has dropped and the general consensus is that it will make you defecate your pants 🤡