1. Don Lemon was blasted for comments he made on CNN Saturday where he listed five things the black community can do to fix its problems and sided with Bill O’Reilly of Fox News on placing blame on black men.
He said African Americans should stop wearing baggy pants, using the n-word, littering, dropping out of school and having children out of wedlock.
2. He was attacked on Twitter for his comments that put blame on hip-hop culture profiting from “thug” behavior.
“it’s not about pulling your pants up, it’s about respecting yourself.” YOU DON’T GET TO DEFINE RESPECTABILITY FOR EVERYONE. @donlemoncnn
@DonLemonCNN The cycle of despair is deeply ingrained. Long term mentoring programs, not patronizing drive by lectures, are what is needed.
@DonLemonCNN I watched the #notalkingpoints video. Although I don’t do many of the things you mentioned, I still get profiled.
@DonLemonCNN Those of us who have spent our entire careers in the trenches trying to make a difference resent your public rhetoric.
@DonLemonCNN there needs to be institutional change for black empowerment. Pulling your pants up does not eliminate generations of racism.
@DonLemonCNN I had no books and no teachers for certain courses in high school. But saw the resource officer body slam folks daily.
Telling black ppl 2 put education first when lots of schools are just prison feeder institutions - @DonLemonCNN, u gotta go deeper than that
9. Lemon responded to the criticism Sunday, where he said he wanted to reclaim the word “Uncle Tom,” which many used to describe him after his initial remarks.
“What is wrong with telling people to dress appropriately? These are things that I said yesterday that my mom taught me in kindergarten… Dress nicely, speak well, speak appropriately,” he said.
10. He also defended himself on Twitter.
11. The criticism only intensified.
@DonLemonCNN So we should leave racism like an abused woman leaves an abuser? I left racism, but it keeps following me calling the police.
Yo…dude really said he’s reclaiming the term “Uncle Tom.” Don Lemon is gunning for those ratings, huh?
13. And the hashtag #donlemonlogic was born on Twitter.
“@Dontcallme_Tiff: If only trayvon went to whole foods to buy some granola and smart water. #donlemonlogic” in a 3 piece suit…
Women who have been raped calling themselves “victims” takes away from what’s really important: how do the men feel? #donlemonlogic
#DonLemonLogic Child molestation wouldn’t be a problem if we just stop having kids America.
“Racism would not be as bad if Black men kept their hair cut low and Black women straightened theirs.” - #DonLemonLogic
on election day, wear a nice tommy hilfiger polo to your polling place to reduce the risk of voter disenfranchisement #DonLemonLogic
- Republican members of Congress face angry town halls flooded with voters opposing the repeal of Obamacare and other parts of the Trump agenda.
- The Trump administration wants to send immigrants caught at the southern US border to Mexico even if they're not from the country.
- Several states will keep enforcing bans against transgender discrimination in schools after Trump withdrew guidelines protecting students.
- Police arrested at least 10 people on Wednesday as they began clearing out protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.