1. ESPN Magazine’s Body Issue hit the stands this morning, and the version of the cover with Prince Fielder on it had Twitter all atwitter.
2. There were plenty of people cracking on Fielder because of his weight, as Complex noted, but not everyone was joking. There were plenty of tweets flying in support of the athlete, praising his courage.
8. And plenty lusting for that well-oiled form.
14. It’s rare that the issue of beauty standards and fat shaming revolves around men, and this provided a new way to experience the phenomenon.
“You don’t have to look like an Under Armour mannequin to be an athlete,” says Fielder in the issue. “Just because you’re big doesn’t mean you can’t be an athlete. And just because you work out doesn’t mean you’re going to have a 12-pack. I work out to make sure I can do my job to the best of my ability. Other than that, I’m not going up there trying to be a fitness model.”
15. Though the shoe was on the other foot, so to speak, there was still a strong message and support of body acceptance, no matter whose body is in question.
20. And it sparked a revolution in what is being called #HuskyTwitter, leading men to celebrate their own Fielder-esque forms.
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France following protests last week.