1. The textbook that contains this vocabulary exercise comes from Iceland. It was removed from use after the image went viral, according to local reports.
2. Students were to complete a fill-in-the-blank exercise after reading the following passage:
Men on earth are not all the same.
Black people are called negroes. They mostly live in Africa.
Yellow men are called mongols. They mostly live in Asia.
Red men are called redskins or indians. They mostly live in America.
Brown men are called malayans. They mostly live in South Asia.
3. Jón Geir Jóhannsson uploaded the picture to Facebook with the caption “Maybe it’s time to upgrade teaching in elementary school?” The assignment was given to his daughter, who is in the second grade.
6. Þórhildur Elvarsdóttir, principal of the Varmárskóli school that Jóhannsson’s daughter attends, said that they only had a few copies of the book.
“Teachers have used the book in order to give students extra practice, but it has probably not been examined closely enough,” Elvarsdóttir told The Reykjavík Grapevine. “We very much regret this.”
7. Read more at The Reykjavík Grapevine.
- A Kentucky clerk continues to defy the Supreme Court by denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples. ›
- Stocks all over the world are falling again following the release of more data indicating a weakening of China's economy. ›
- The main suspect in last month's bombing of Bangkok's Erawan shrine has been arrested, Thailand's prime minister says. ›