TWO TORNADOES!!!! Near Wisner, Nebraska!! #newx
1. Updated — June 17, 12:55 p.m. ET:
2. The National Weather Service said Tuesday that the storm that struck Nebraska Monday appears to have produced four tornadoes.
Above, two massive tornadoes ripped through the Stanton, Neb., area Monday afternoon.
At least two people were killed during the storms, officials said.
3. Two tornadoes were seen on the ground simultaneously near the town of Wisner.
5. And they were captured on video near the small town of Pilger.
6. One of the tornadoes was then seen ripping through Pilger, hurling debris into the air.
7. One storm chaser had a very close encounter with the twister as it crossed the highway.
8. The tornado caused significant damage in Pilger.
9. Stanton County Commissioner Jerry Weatherholt said the devastated town looked like a “war zone.”
Tim Nelson searches for survivors in Pilger.
11. Weatherholt said the south half of the town was leveled, but almost all of it was damaged by the tornado.
12. “It was like God dragged two fingernails across the land,” Gregg Moeller of Wisner told the Norfolk Daily News while describing the “unbelievable” damage caused by the tornadoes.
13. By 6 p.m. the town was filled with ambulances and fire trucks from across the region.
Rick Wimer (left) and Steven Brune, both with West Point volunteer fire raise a flag in front of the Pilger Senior Center.
A police officer exits the Wisner-Pilger Middle School after checking for people stuck inside.