1. Iranian Presiden Hassan Rouhani wished all Jews, “especially Iranian Jews,” a blessed Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. The tweet was from what appears to be his English account.
As the sun is about to set here in #Tehran I wish all Jews, especially Iranian Jews, a blessed Rosh Hashanah.
2. Rouhani, Iran’s seventh president, is known for his skills as a diplomat and a mediator. He is a Shiite Muslim cleric and was arrested several times in the 1960 and ’70s as a follower of the Ayatollah.
3. Reactions to his tweet ranged from surprise and sarcasm to pleasant and hopeful.
LOL RT @HassanRouhani: As the sun is about to set here in #Tehran I wish all Jews, especially Iranian Jews, a blessed Rosh Hashanah./ Via
Oh. Um. Wow? â€œ@HassanRouhani: As the sun is about to set here in #Tehran I wish all Jews, especially Iranian Jews, a blessed Rosh Hashanah.â€/ Via
@HassanRouhani @acarvin I love this bespoke blessing for the 5 remaining Iranian Jews who are not in jail and free to walk around/ Via
@HassanRouhani shana tova from tel aviv (:/ Via
@HassanRouhani Shana Tova from Israel, Mr. President. Come visit us sometime./ Via
@negarmortazavi I like this man! Do you reallysee change in the next couple of months- ofcourse assuming god willing, west reciprocates?/ Via
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- Russia's athletic federation has accepted its suspension after a report found evidence of "widespread doping." ›
- Adele's record-breaking album "25" has now sold more than 3 million copies in the U.S. ›