How people in Muslim countries prefer women to dress in public http://t.co/FF4sRH46fK
1. The majority of people in seven predominantly Muslim countries prefer women to completely cover their hair, and not necessarily their face, in public according to a recent survey conducted by the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research.
2. Respondents were presented with six pictures of women dressed in different styles of the Muslim headdress including one who was without a headdress. They were then asked: “Which one of these women is dressed most appropriately for public places?”
3. A majority of respondents across the seven countries, which included Tunisia, Egypt, Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, said woman #4, in the less conservative white hijab, was the most appropriately dressed for public.
4. Overall, the least popular choice among most respondents was woman #1 wearing the burqa.
5. Here are the individual results of each country:
6. Saudi Arabia: Most appropriately dressed is woman #2. Least appropriately dressed is woman #6.
In Saudi Arabia, 69% of respondents chose woman #2 as the most appropriate form of dressing for a woman.
Compared to other countries, more respondents in Saudi Arabia (11%) chose the most conservatively-dressed woman as the appropriate way to dress.
7. Pakistan: Most appropriately dressed is woman #2 and #3. Least appropriately dressed is woman #6.
In Pakistan, there was a split between woman #2 (32%) whose hijab exposed only the eyes, and woman #3 (31%), whose hair and ears are completely covered.
Nearly a quarter (24%) chose woman #4.
8. Iraq: Most appropriately dressed is woman #4. Least appropriately dressed is woman #6.
Fifty-five respondents in Iraq chose woman #4 with the more liberal white hijab as the most appropriately dressed, while its conservative counterpart, #3, was the second most popular choice.
9. Egypt: Most appropriately dressed is woman #4. Least appropriately dressed is woman #1.
In Egypt, 52% of respondents believed woman #4 in the white hijab to be most appropriately dressed.
Only 1% chose the woman who is completely covered, while 4% chose the one who is without a headdress.
10. Tunisia: Most appropriately dressed is woman #4. Least appropriately dressed is woman #1.
Woman #4 also got the most votes in Tunisia (57%).
More Tunisian respondents voted for woman #5 (23%) in her colorful headscarf than any other country’s respondents.
Woman #2 and #3 got only 2% and 3% of the votes respectively.
11. Turkey: Most appropriately dressed is woman #4. Least appropriately dressed is woman #1.
Woman #4 was the most appropriately dressed for 46% of respondents in Turkey, while 32% chose the hijab-less woman #6.
Last year, Turkey lifted a generations-old ban on women wearing the Islamic headscarf in state institutions.
Turkey was the only country where not a single respondent chose woman #1 as appropriately dressed.
12. Lebanon: Most appropriately dressed is woman #6. Least appropriately dressed is woman #2.
In Lebanon, woman #6 who was without any headscarf, was chosen by 49% of respondents. Second most popular choice was woman #4.