Because of a technical glitch, Delta air fares on its website and other booking sites plunged to as low as $25 for cross-country flights from around 10 a.m. to noon ET on Thursday, Dec. 26.
Delta said it would honor the “mistake fares.” In a statement to ABC News, Delta said:
“For a portion of the morning today, some prices on delta.com and other booking channels were incorrectly displayed, resulting in lower than usual fares for customers. The situation has been resolved, and the correct prices are being displayed. Delta will honor any fares purchased at the incorrect price.”
People booked round-trip flights from Cincinnati to Minneapolis for $25 while a round-trip from New York To Los Angeles cost $58. People also booked tickets to Hawaii for as low as $68.
While Delta’s own policy states that the company reserves the right to cancel ticket purchases and refund or reissue the correct ticket in cases of “erroneous fares,” new Department of Transportation regulations require airlines to honor any fares offered.
3. Twitter users posted screenshots of the super low mistake fares.
Proof of the Delta blowup lol with first class and business to Final Round damn
$58 bucks from #NYC to #LA on @Expedia right now via @delta , but again, provide personal info & sale doesn’t happen.
Hey @Delta: There SHOULD be a way to honor the deals caused by your mistake (screenshots!) >>
6. Others celebrated their slightly delayed Christmas miracle.
I usually hate website glitches but this one got us three first-class flights to Hawaii for $220 total. Delta says they’ll honor the fares!
Also if delta honors their mistakes this morning, I’m going to Hawaii for $70 in March!!
My family just tickets to Hawaii for < $100 thanks to a glitch on the Delta website DREAMS DO COME TRUE
Thank you Delta glitch. Got my parents 2 1st class tickets to Hawaii for $81 each. #Winning Also $34 flight to NO & $50 flight to Orlando
- Greece appears to have voted "no" on sweeping new austerity measures tied to further bailout funds. Its future in the eurozone is uncertain.
- The U.S. will face Japan in Vancouver in the final match of the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Captured New York prison escapee David Sweat has been released from hospital and is back in jail.