Canada’s list of mayors who say/do/smoke insane things is growing. Stephane Gendron, a small-town mayor in Quebec and a radio shock-jock, had announced on his show that he took pleasure in killing cats, especially newborns, with his car.
2. “When I see a cat in the street, I accelerate. Stray cats have no business on the street. So, bang! I accelerate.”
3. He added, “The other day, I backed up on one, it was a newborn. I’m sure he didn’t feel anything. The pickup truck ran on it like nothing. I was so happy, yes! One less.”
After the SPCA announced it was investigating the mayor, he issued an apology. The statement said: “On July 9, 2013, I made largely exaggerated comments on the overpopulation of cats that constitutes a nuisance in our urban and rural areas.”
“I myself have to deal with this problem on my property, with many dozens of stray cats that come and cause problems.”
“I admit that the imagery used served no purpose in advancing the debate on this issue… For all these reasons, I apologize. The use of dark humor was inappropriate in dealing with such a subject.”
- Dylann Roof has been formally charged with nine counts of murder for the Charleston church shooting last month.
- Britain marks 10 years since 52 people were killed in terrorist attacks in London.
- Authorities reportedly raided the Indiana home of Jared Fogle, the face of many Subway sandwich advertisements.