1. For the first time, rockets fired from the Gaza Strip have reached over 100 miles into central Israel, targeting areas in Israel’s densely populated urban center. In the Tel Aviv suburb of Ramat Gan, zookeepers shot this video as air raid sirens sounded.
2. The Safari Zoo in Ramat Gan has been successfully breeding endangered Asian elephants for the last two years.
Zookeepers said they were initially worried how the animals would respond to air raid sirens, which wail for up to one minute to warn Israelis of an incoming rocket attack.
They soon found that the elephants appeared to naturally move to protect their young, the zookeepers on their Facebook page.
3. Gaza’s zoo, meanwhile, has struggled to keep its animals alive through Israeli offensives, air pollutants, power outages, and a lack of fresh food. In 2008, most of the animals in the Gaza City zoo were killed when Israeli shells landed nearby.
- More debris – believed to be part of the missing aircraft MH370 – has been found washed up on the Indian Ocean island of Réunion on Sunday.
- Cilla Black, the legendary English singer and TV star, has died at her home in Spain, according to local police. She was 72 years old.
- A conservation group at Oxford University told BuzzFeed News that media reports of Jericho's death were not true and that the 11-year-old lion was "alive and well".