Stocks are on fire lately, with the S&P 500 and Dow Jones Industrial Average closing last week at record highs.
That got us thinking: With company stock prices on the rise, what is the merchandise equivalent of the price of one share?
Below are the stock prices of a random sample of 13 companies and what you can buy at those companies based on their stock price. (Note: Stock prices are as of the close on Monday, July 22, and items exclude taxes.)
For instance, for the price of one share of Yum Brands, which owns Taco Bell and other casual dining restaurants, you can buy 31 seven-layer burritos. Yum indeed!
1. Lululemon: $67.51 or One Yoga Mat
The yoga mat is actually $68 but we rounded up. Lululemon shares are still cheaper than a pair of its signature Wunder Under yoga pants, which retail for $82.
3. Urban Outfitters: $42.76 or A String of Anthropologie Popsicle Lights & One Cat Face Flask
4. Berkshire Hathaway: $178,223 or 50,920 Dairy Queen Blizzards or 23,450 Boxes of See’s Candies Lollipops
Berkshire Hathaway, led by Warren Buffett, owns Dairy Queen, See’s, and a host of other companies. (Blizzard figure was calculated using the average price of $3.49 for a medium Blizzard; See’s figure was calculated using the $7.60 price for a small Lollypop Box.)
6. The Walt Disney Co.: $64.40 or Roughly Two-Thirds of a One-Day Pass to Disneyworld
A one-day pass to the Magic Kingdom costs $89 for kids ages 3–9 and $95 for guests ages 10 and older.
7. Tiffany & Co.: $78.99 or A Tiffany Heart Tag Charm Sans Chain
You’re going to need to own a lot more shares before you can buy that diamond.
8. Yum Brands: $71.47 or 31 Seven-Layer Burritos at Taco Bell
9. Coca-Cola Co.: $40.84 or 21 Two-Liter Bottles of Coca-Cola
10. Abercrombie & Fitch: $49.78 or One Sweater Tank Top
11. Amazon: $303.48 or One Copy of Lean In, One Copy of Bossypants, a 12-Cup Mr. Coffee Coffeemaker, a Kindle Fire HD, a Meditation Cushion, and Season 1 of Flight of the Conchords on DVD
12. American Eagle Outfitters: $18.89 or One Graphic T-Shirt on Sale
- Robert L. Dear was identified as the suspected gunman in a fatal shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. ›
- World leaders will meet in Paris starting Monday to discuss a potential global climate change agreement. Here's what you need to know. ›
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›