1. Over the weekend, the hashtag #EndFathersDay was revealed to have been orchestrated by 4chan users posing as female social justice activists on Twitter.
2. As more details emerged, it became more clear that #EndFathersDay was actually part of a larger project called “Operation: Lollipop.”
3. Operation: Lollipop is a propaganda campaign run largely by members of the Men’s Rights and Pick-Up Artist communities. The idea is to pose as women of color on Twitter and guide activist hashtags as a way to embarrass the online social justice community.
4. According to one now-deleted Tumblr, this appears to have been going on since at least 2013.
5. “NayNay Thompson” is listed as possibly one of the original Operation: Lollipop accounts. The blog describes something called “Privilege Wars,” basically, the idea of using fake accounts to make activists turn against each other.
6. BuzzFeed reached out to NayNay Thompson for comment. Someone saying they were the owner of the account replied via email.
“What are your questions for me,” the alleged owner of the NayNay Thompson account wrote. “I’d like my story told, but I’d like it characterized in the best light possible. How do you feel about what happened?”
As of Tuesday morning, Thompson has not responded to requests for a phone or Skype interview.
7. Users have also begun outing possible fake accounts and collecting them in storifys.
8. User @Sassycrass has put together a list of tactics used by the fake accounts and is using the hashtag #YourSlipIsShowing as way for activists to organize their blocking efforts.
11. On Monday, a second user, @so_treu began adding more names to #YourSlipIsShowing.
12. More well-known members of Twitter’s social justice community believe that they’ve identified over 200 trolls pretending to be women of color on Twitter.
15. One of the accounts listed as a possible troll on #YourSlipIsShowing is using a picture of BuzzFeed writer Heben Nigatu. Though, as with much of what’s happening, it’s unclear how connected the fake accounts are to each other.
16. NayNay Thompson began lashing out at author and journalist Laurie Penny Tuesday morning, as well.
- And watch a man react to the modern world after spending 44 years in prison. ›