1. Shannon Carr spent $9,600 on a granite headstone for her late husband, Jason, which her parish is now deeming unacceptable.
2. Carr’s tombstone is shaped like a couch, has a NASCAR logo on it, a picture of a deer, a picture of his dog…
3. …and the message “Go Colts.”
4. The parish says the headstone is unacceptable because of its secular nature and doesn’t meet their cemetery’s standards.
5. Rev. Jonathan Meyer said that Carr ignored the parish’s warnings:
“They told her not to move forward with the purchasing of the monument, but she went ahead anyway… We have consistently communicated the same message prior to the purchase and after the purchase. We did not think a granite couch was an appropriate monument in our historic cemetery.”
6. But Carr is now suing St. Joseph Parish, claiming they didn’t tell her about any regulations regarding the headstone.
- A Guatemalan judge ordered former President Otto Perez Molina held in jail overnight while hearings over the corruption scandal that led to his resignation take place. ›
- Britain is set to increase the number of refugees being let into the country. The extra people aren't in Europe already, they will likely come from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- The Justice Dept. has tightened rules on cell phone tracking, forcing federal agencies to get a warrant. ›