When the 4chan community starts a raid they meet in a private IRC chatroom. Last night’s meeting took place in a private, IRC-built, self-hosted chatroom.
1. Members of the chatroom have agreed upon the hashtag #RememberAddison, which they plan on using to fake a teenage girl’s death on twitter, claiming she was a victim of the #cutting4beiber hoax.
They’re currently deciding on who will spread the death hoax on what social network. Reddit, Tumblr, and 9gag are common targets of theirs.
2. They’ve taken things to the next step, creating a false social media trail for this fake Addison girl. One member of the chat writes a script while another member begins making a YouTube channel for her.
They record a SoundCloud file of a boy reading a script about the fake girl Addison they’ve created.
6. They also record a second script mourning Addison’s death.
7. And a fake Anonymous warning, threatening to hack 9gag.com in retaliation for Addison’s death.
8. An anonymous user under the screen name CLOSEDPOOL agrees to take the script and make a YouTube video out of it. He signs off and never returns.
9. A user puts together a fake blog post.
They also start making fake Twitpics of Justin Bieber tweets.
17. They make a fake Anonymous Leader video demanding justice for the #Cutting4Bieber deaths.
20. The chatroom winds down as the members make plans to upvote their fake videos and links on YouTube and Reddit.
UPDATE: 4chan is currently planning to DDOS BuzzFeed as a result of this article (meaning they’re trying to overload the site with requests and effectively shut us down).
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders clashed on immigration, Obama, and Kissinger (!) in Thursday's Democratic debate. We have a recap for you 🇺🇸
- NYPD Officer Peter Liang was found guilty of manslaughter in the 2014 shooting of Akai Gurley, an unarmed black man.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz.