1. Updated — 6:56 p.m. ET
2. Today the NYPD asked Twitter users to post cute personal photos with NYPD officers.
3. And for a while it worked pretty well.
4. People were sharing nice pictures of NYPD officers just hanging out.
5. And that was nice… for about an hour…
6. Until people started filling the #MyNYPD hashtag with photos of alleged police brutality.
8. And it doesn’t appear to be slowing down.
9. A lot of Twitter users started finding photos of police officers from any city and tagging them with #myNYPD.
10. It turns out Twitter users had more than a few photos of NYPD officers looking less than friendly.
12. And then things got even worse when Occupy Wall Street’s Twitter got involved.
14. Turns out not everyone is a huge fan of the NYPD.
16. So, the lesson here? Be careful what you ask for on the internet, I guess.
- At least three people – including a police officer – died in a shooting at a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. The suspect is in police custody. ›
- At least 15 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›