A woman was shot and killed after she allegedly rammed into barricades near the White House and then led police on a chase toward the U.S. Capitol on Thursday, law enforcement officials said.
Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine said it appeared to be an isolated incident and not terrorism related. Dine said the suspect “attempted to pass a barricade” and later struck a Capitol Hill police officer with her car. Dine said the officer is in good condition.
D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said the suspect was shot by police and pronounced dead. She was later identified in multiple reports as Miriam Carey, 34, a dental hygienist from Stamford, Conn.
Terry Gainer, Senate Seargent at Arms said a young child was in the car with the suspect. The 1-year-old is uninjured but was taken to the hospital, officials said.
The Capitol building was locked down for about 30 minutes following the reports of the gunshots.
2. Video of the police chasing the suspect, who was driving a a black Infiniti.
3. As the chase led to the Capitol, police locked down the building.
Literally was dragged in by cop as he heard shots fired come over the radio. Now this:
5. Tourists were reportedly told to run as police scrambled towards the source of the gunfire.
Shots fired at the Capitol
Sounds of POP POP POP on House side of Capitol building. Police closing off street. Police have guns drawn. Unknown if shots.
Police securing front, tourists told to run.
8. Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill tweeted about the shots fired outside.
Shots fired outside the Capitol. We are in temporary lock down.
9. The capitol TVs aired instructions for people to stay in place and stay away from doors and windows.
On the capitol TVs now
10. Capitol Police issued the following advisory to staffers:
SHELTER IN PLACE. Gunshots have been reported on Capitol Hill requiring all occupants in all House Office Buildings to shelter in place. Close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows. Take annunciators, Go Kits and escape hoods; and move to the innermost part of the office away from external doors or windows. If you are not in your office, take shelter in the nearest office, check in with your OEC and wait for USCP to clear the incident. No one will be permitted to enter or exit the building until directed by USCP. All staff should monitor the situation. Further information will be provided as it becomes available.
11. Police cars swarmed Capitol Hill.
Scene at the Capitol, via @CNN:
16. Capitol Police began herding visitors, lawmakers and reporters into security barriers.
17. Tourists were stopped and frisked without the use of metal detectors.
19. Police began combing the halls of Capitol building carrying machine guns.
No joke on Capitol Hill as Cops are running with machine guns as reports of shots being fired at Capitol
20. An ambulance arrived outside the House of Representatives.
Capitol police officer hurt after cops rushed to the House side after reports of shots fired.
21. As photos began spreading of a unidentified person on a stretcher being escorted by police.
Victim now on stretcher being moved to ambulance. Appears to be civilian in white shoes, jeans (?).
22. U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid confirmed that one person was injured in a shooting.
Another photo of #capitolhillshooting taken from our office after shots fired
23. The lockdown on the Capitol was lifted roughly 20 minutes after shots were reported being heard.
Helicopter outside the Capitol
24. According to a White House official, the President has been briefed:
The President was briefed on the reports of gunfire on Capitol Hill this afternoon. White House staff are in touch with law enforcement and monitoring the incident. Questions about the security posture at the White House complex should be directed to the United States Secret Service.
Furloughed worker who was on scene says he heard 4 maybe 5 shots. Was sitting by botanical garden having lunch.
Another witness says cop car was damaged by barricades coming out of ground as it tried to chase car, rendering it useless.
27. A cop car was heavily damaged by barricades during the chase:
29. It is still unknown whether the woman driving the car was armed.
30. A police officer was injured in the traffic accident but the injuries were not life threatening, officials said.
Myles N. Miller
MedStar Washington Hospital confirms that a male Capitol Police officer and a woman were taken there after shooting.