1. Violet Burkhart was sent home from school on the last day of her senior year at Central Davidson High School in North Carolina. The school said her dress was too short.
2. Violet had worn the dress to school before without an issue. Amy Redwine, Violet’s mom, was outraged. So Amy decided to stand up for Violet and wore the dress to graduation.
3. “If I thought this dress was inappropriate, I would have never allowed her to wear the dress,” Redwine told local reporters. “I’m going to wear it in front of everybody and be proud just like she should have been able to on her last day.”
4. So Amy headed to graduation on Saturday, proudly wearing the dress Central Davidson High School thought was inappropriate.
5. Amy wasn’t mad about the dress code, only the way the school handled things. The school district has yet to comment on the controversy.
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Ryan Broderick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In The News Today
- Thai police have found more bomb-making materials in a second apartment, after making the first arrest on Saturday in Bangkok's deadly shrine blast. ›
- Wes Craven, who directed "Scream" and "A Nightmare on Elm Street," has died of brain cancer. He was 76. ›
- For the first time in history, there are three major hurricanes in the Pacific east of the International Dateline at the same time. ›