1. More than 10,000 people attempted to prevent the razing of Gezi Park in Istanbul, Turkey this week. The occupation turned violent when police began clashing with protesters.
2. Activists swarmed the area when news broke that 75-year-old trees in the park would be bulldozed to build a shopping mall.
Mirko Tobias SchÃ¤fer
wow, Turkish police men meet every prejudice of aggressive, macho, police-state attitude #occupygezi
3. Photos began appearing on social media of police using tear gas to push activists out of the area.
4. Protesters quickly took to Twitter and Instagram, organizing under the #DirenGeziParkı and #OccupyGezi hashtags.
tepsiyle bÃ¶reÄŸe misliyle biber gazÄ±!! #direngeziparki #occupygezi
5. Images are also being uploaded to an Occupy Gezi Tumblr.
6. They were unable to stop the bulldozers.
#GeziParkÄ±Ä°Ã§inTaksime yazÄ±k deÄŸil mi?
7. Shocking video of protesters putting on homemade gas masks as police shoot the crowd with tear gas.
10. Photos of frightened occupiers are currently flooding Twitter, pushing #direngeziparki to the second highest trending tag worldwide Friday morning.
It’s almost 6 am in Istanbul, the police burn down protesters’ tents â€at #occupygezi via @kiyametprojesi
13. Along with tear gas, Istanbul law enforcement was also spraying occupiers with hoses to push them out of the park.
16. There are also unconfirmed reports of police aiming tear gas canisters at civilians.
Speak Out 4 Rojava!
THESE ARE BEING AIMED at protesters heads in GEZI PARK! #direngeziparki #occupygezi http://t.co/CtQT3DNEWi
20. A Reddit thread organized around the riots describes a chaotic scene, with rumors circulating of police jamming cell phones and using plastic bullets.
22. A definitive timeline of events is currently unclear, but it appears as though police teargassed a metro station near the park Friday morning.
Ne zaman bu kadar zalim oldunuz? #direngeziparki #occupygezi
* T.C. * CaNDaNDeNiz
POLÄ°S MÄ° ÅžÄ°MDÄ° BU ? ADINI SÄ°Z KOYUN @Olympics #occupygezi #direngeziparkÄ± #PoliceViolenceInTurkey
#taksim #direngeziparki #occupygezi
26. Government management of public space in Istanbul has been widely criticized in the past.
Kafa tasÄ± parÃ§alanan bir genÃ§ kÄ±z daha #direngeziparkÄ± RT herkes gÃ¶rsÃ¼n ! @NihatDogan_ND
hastaneye saldÄ±rÄ±lÄ±yor, savaÅŸta bile yapÄ±lmaz bu!#direngeziparkÄ±