1. This is Erin Cox, a 17-year-old North Andover High School senior from North Andover, Massachusetts. Her family says she was recently suspended after helping drive a drunk friend home from a party.
2. The school also took away the honor student’s title of captain of the girl’s volleyball team.
VB opens the season Fri 5pm vs Andover led by Capts Caroline Schmidt Erin Cox Merry Eagan & Katie Lessard
3. Two weeks ago, Erin went to drive a friend home from a party when the police showed up. Erin was cleared by police, who agreed that she had not been drinking alcohol.
Volleyball: North Andover defeats Central Catholic 3-1. NA moves on to face #rival Andover Sat in the D1 N Finals!
4. The school said Erin was in violation of its zero-tolerance policy against alcohol and drug use. The Cox family hired attorney Wendy Murphy, hoping to reverse the school’s decision.
5. CBS interviewed Murphy about her work with the Cox family:
If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don’t want that kid to say, ‘I’m sorry, I can’t help you. I might end up in trouble at school.’
6. Friends of Erin are currently starting a petition, and users on Twitter have already begun attacking the school over their decision.
Let @NorthAndoverHS know they acted foolishly projecting a beer summit subject that never did. #IStandWithErinCox
hey @NorthAndoverHS good job suspending a volleyball player for making sure her friend didn’t drive drunk. great precedent to set.
@NorthAndoverHS Seriously, fuck you. Fucking incompetent bags of shit.
9. Geoffrey Bok, who represented the high school in court, explained that once the police became involved, the school had no choice but to act.
@NA_Athletics @NorthAndoverHS How can you punish someone for doing the right thing, picking up a friend who needed help is a good deed
- Protesters marched in Chicago for the second night in a row after the release of a video showing the police shooting of black teen Laquan McDonald. ›
- Frank Gifford's family says the NFL star had CTE, the degenerative brain disease linked to football. He died in August. ›
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›