If you need me, I'll be reading the Facebook comments on Christina Fallin and Pink Pony's apology for the next few days.
1. This is Christina Fallin, the daughter of Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin. Christina posted this photo of herself on Facebook and Instagram Thursday evening.
2. It was a promotional photo for her electronica band, Pink Pony, which also performs under the name Chrome Pony.
3. The photo immediately caused an uproar on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook.
7. The reaction was intense enough that the band released a statement, posted on its Facebook page.
8. The statement apologizes for the photo, but also defends the decision.
Growing up in Oklahoma, we have come into contact with Native American culture institutionally our whole lives—something we are eternally grateful for. With age, we feel a deeper and deeper connection to the Native American culture that has surrounded us. Though it may not have been our own, this aesthetic has affected us emotionally in a very real and meaningful way. Please forgive us if we innocently adorn ourselves in your beautiful things. We do so with the deepest respect.