1. Jonathan Byler Dann left his basement shelter Sunday and discovered the severe storms that left eight dead and dozens more injured had destroyed his home.
2. Perhaps most devastating of all, Jonathan’s dog, Maggie, was missing. He and his family couldn’t coax her down into the shelter before the EF4 tornado swept through the area.
3. But miraculously, 30 hours later, Jonathan and his family heard a quiet barking coming from beneath the rubble.
4. Shaking and injured, but alive, Maggie was freed from a large carpet that had wrapped around her during the tornado’s deadly rampage.
5. Jonathan and friends brought her to a nearby veterinary clinic where they’re currently treating her for broken bones and internal injuries.
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Ryan Broderick at email@example.com.
In The News Today
- Sierra Leone is investigating a new Ebola death after a woman who was believed to be the country's last known case was discharged from the hospital last week. ›
- A white supremacist has been found guilty of capital murder in the shooting deaths of three people at two Jewish facilities in Kansas last year. ›
- Lawyers for the NFL and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady failed to reach a settlement in the deflategate case. A decision is expected by Friday. ›