1. Updated Oct. 5, 11:50 a.m.: The man has since died from his injuries, the AP is reporting.
2. Witnesses said a man doused himself with gasoline and lit himself on fire Friday afternoon at the National Mall in Washington, D.C.
Holy shit, someone just lit himself on fire in the middle of the National Mall
3. Flames could be seen from across the Mall.
Sven N. Reigle
Apparently, where a man set himself on fire, on the national mall.
5. Local law enforcement said that the man was conscious and breathing when authorities arrived.
Police respond to self immolation on the mall
7. Witnesses said two men ran up to the man and put the fire out using their shirts.
My mom was near the guy who lit himself on fire on the Mall. Says these guys put it out with their shirts
DC police and passerby help man who set himself on fire on the Mall this afternoon
9. The unidentified man was airlifted out by medical helicopter.
Massive fire & EMS response on National Mall. Medivac helicopter just took off from scene. Developing…
11. It’s unclear if the incident was politically motivated.
Helicopter to transport man who set himself on fire on the Mall today.
Cops line off National Mall in front of Congress following reports someone set themselves on fire
13. Police investigated the gas canister used in the fire.
14. D.C. Fire Department spokesman Timothy J. Wilson told The Washington Post that the man has life-threatening injuries.
BREAKING: Man just set himself on fire on national mall. Details on #News4
16. D.C. police closed down the streets near the incident.
DC Police Department
Alert:7th St btwn Madison Dr NW & Jefferson Dr SW is CLOSED due to an injured citizen. Use Alt Rte. See Attached/7066
- Senate Democrats have secured enough votes to uphold the Iran nuclear deal when Congress votes on it later this month. ›
- A new study says there are 3 trillion trees on Earth — much more than previously thought. But we're losing them fast 🌳 ›
- The U.S. Army says it's removing restrictions on women attending Ranger School. Two soldiers became the first women to graduate from the school last month. ›