Suicidal 4chan user killed himself yesterday by setting his room on fire. Event streamed online. 200 people watched http://t.co/vYgi9lFlw5
1. A 20-year-old, who only identified himself as Stephen, announced on 4chan Saturday night that he would be committing suicide by setting himself on fire.
2. Stephen then set up a livestream on chateen.com under the username LOLdoge. During the suicide attempt the audience of the chatroom maxed out at 200 people.
3. The graphic 40-minute video was recorded and uploaded on Liveleak.
4. It shows Stephen walking around what appears to be a dorm room or small bedroom as smoke starts to grow. He then crawls under his bed and types “#imdead #omgimonfire.”
5. During the filming 4chan users were divided between being excited and being actually worried that Stephen did, in fact, light himself on fire.
6. At the end of the video men dressed like firefighters enter the room and remove Stephen from the area.
7. Anonymous-linked Twitter account @YourAnonNews picked up the video, linking to a news story claiming that Stephen had died.
8. According to a local newspaper a student from the University of Guelph in Ontario matching Stephen’s description received serious, but non-life-threatening, burns.
The investigation continues into the cause of a fire in the Dundas Hall student residence on the University of Guelph campus Saturday night that sent a young man to the hospital with serious, but non-life threatening injuries.
9. The University of Guleph released a statement about the incident discussing the “disturbing social media activity” surrounding the fire.
The University is aware that there is disturbing social media activity circulating about this incident and is urging people not to watch or distribute this hurtful material.
U of G would like to remind its community members that counselling services are always available to assist students and employees, especially during times of distress.