1. Brittany Mathis, a 19-year-old from Montgomery, Texas, discovered a rash on her leg in late December. It later turned out to be a blood clot.
2. After three days in the hospital emergency room, doctors told Brittany she had a ping-pong size tumor in her brain.
3. Brittany is a waitress at Kaiserhof Restaurant and Wunderbar, a local German restaurant. But the 19-year-old doesn’t have health insurance hasn’t yet signed up for the Affordable Care Act.
4. With medical bills already piling up, Brittany and her mother, Barbara, who also works at Kaiserhof, can’t even afford to find out whether or not the tumor is malignant or benign.
5. And that’s why Kaiserhof owner Michael De Beyer is stepping in and raising money to help Brittany. He’s selling his family’s restaurant and donating the money to Brittany.
6. Michael has owned the restaurant for 17 years and has been trying to sell it for a few years. He says he has now redoubled his efforts to sell and will donate proceeds towards Brittany’s medical bills.
7. Sadly, Brittany’s dad, John Mathis, passed away from a brain tumor in 2000.
Ryan Broderick is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Ryan Broderick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here Are The Top Stories
- Boko Haram has killed 97 people at mosques in northeastern Nigeria, a government official told AP.
- Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, a Democrat with a military background, is running for president.