Newsweek reported Thursday it had found the mysterious founder of Bitcoin living in Temple City, Calif. But in a two-hour interview with the Associated Press, Satoshi Nakamoto denied any involvement with Bitcoin.
What’s the truth? The internet has many theories.
1. Satoshi Nakamoto is an actor who was hired by Newsweek to help relaunch its printed magazine.
2. The media frenzy around Satoshi helped the CEO of the Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox steal 180,000 bitcoins.
3. The cop was in on it because he knew Satoshi Nakamoto’s real name.
4. And the whole thing would be a pretty perfect way to discredit the Bitcoin community.
5. Satoshi Nakamoto really is the inventor of Bitcoin and is just messing with everyone because he’s either…
6. An older mentally unbalanced shut-in or he’s covering up the fact he might have invented Bitcoin for the CIA or the FBI.
7. Because he might have developed Bitcoins under a government contract.
8. If Satoshi Nakamoto really is the inventor of Bitcoin he might have been asking for a “free lunch” because it’s an economic code phrase.
- Turkey hopes to ease tensions with Russia after it shot down a Russian warplane earlier this week. The countries have differing accounts of the incident. ›
- At least 21 people were killed after a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Muslim procession of hundreds of people in Nigeria, BBC News reports. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›