1. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been the prime minister of Turkey since 2003.
3. Erdoğan is a member of the Justice and Development Party (AKP). It’s a center-right conservative party that favors a conservative democracy.
7. Erdoğan is not, however, popular in Istanbul, where he served as mayor from 1994-1998.
9. According to the same Pew Research poll, 54% of population of Istanbul feel negatively towards him.
11. (In this one they’re comparing him to Justin Bieber.)
13. The protests currently going on are against a perceived sense of growing authoritarianism in Erdoğan’s administration.
15. The people involved with #OccupyGezi assembled to protest the demolition of a beloved park in Istanbul, but the demonstrations quickly turned into something larger.
17. The most common thread tying the protesters together is an anger over a growing Islamism in the government.
21. The prime minister slammed the protests going on in Gezi Park on Sunday, saying “social media is the worst menace to society.”
23. On Wednesday, thousands of union workers marched on Taksim Square in Istanbul, lending support to the protesters occupying the park.
Check out more articles on BuzzFeed.com!