House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer predicted Tuesday that Hillary Clinton would “clear the field” of potential Democratic rivals for the 2016 presidential nomination were she to throw her hat in the ring, deterring runs for the White House from Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, and even Vice President Joe Biden.
“I don’t know that anybody would run against Hillary,” Hoyer said in an interview with BuzzFeed. “If she runs, she clears the field. If she doesn’t run, I think Cuomo is a leading candidate and O’Malley is a leading candidate.”
Asked if he believed Biden was considering a run — the vice president joked last year that 2012 wouldn’t be the last time he voted for himself — Hoyer said, “I think Joe is really thinking hard about running. If Hillary doesn’t run, Joe will run. I don’t know that Joe runs against Hillary, though.”
In a Democratic field without the former secretary of state, said Hoyer, O’Malley would emerge as a potential front-runner whose success with progressive ballot measures — voters in the state passed both marriage equality and the Maryland DREAM Act last year — would make him an attractive candidate to the party’s base.
“O’Malley is definitely focused on it. He’s got a very good record as governor with very sound accomplishments from the perspective certainly of the base of the Democratic party,” said Hoyer. “The governor has had real success in terms of policy.”
“I think the reason we’re all talking about O’Malley is that O’Malley has created a national buzz about O’Malley,” said Hoyer. “He’s got a lot of experience, he’s a singer, he’s an exciting guy, he’s got charisma,” the veteran Maryland Democrat said of O’Malley, who is lead singer and plays guitar for his Celtic rock band, O’Malley’s March.
“And he’s mentioned by a lot of people. He must be doing something right,” he added.
When asked if he’d support his governor in the 2016 race — Hoyer has served Maryland’s 5th district in the House for more than 30 years — the Congressman said only, “Sure, he’s my governor. But I’m assuming he doesn’t run if Hillary runs.”
“Once we get through the 2014 election, that’s when it starts moving,” said Hoyer. “I think she’s gonna make a decision at that time about what she’ll do. But I don’t think it’s a guarantee that she’s going to run.”
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- corrieg Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would &...
- m.fark.com readers just made Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would &... hotter
- chrisg51 Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would &...
- chofley Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would &...
- jime5 thinks Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would &... is Win
- Alibug thinks Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would &... is Win
- elvisdepressley thinks Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would &... is Win
- ratix12 thinks Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would &... is Fail
- jmo36251 Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "...
- “hillary clinton 2016” is a hot search term for this page
- Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "... is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
- gigglechick Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "...
- adama7 Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "...
- fark.com readers just made Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "... hotter
- Emilie Y. Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "...
- chuyb Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "...
How the hell does the same website that posts “the Internet’s Most Influential Corgis” get an interview Steny freaking Hoyer?!
- “hillary clinton” is a hot search term for this page
- matthewb55 thinks Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "... is Win
- smg7320 Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "... and thinks it’s Win
- salon.com readers just made Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "... hotter
- aprild3 Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "...
I am forever amazed at the double standard when it comes to age. Joe Biden celebrated his 70th birthday last year. Has his age never comes up relative to him running in 2016? Hillary is 69 and it’s amazing to me how her age keeps coming up. Get over it you chauvs, she’s the shit and she will win. Take your “T” and step aside.
I gotta be honest… I wanna see a woman be president but not at the sake of putting the closest woman available into the spot. Just because Hilary has been the closest to make it doesn’t mean she’s the right person. First of all, she’s not well. She’s needs to get better and not have to contend with health issues along side all the many problems American’s would need her to focus on. Second, I want someone who represents woman with a clear to moderately clear record. Let’s be honest, her record could be cleaner. I totally respect what she’s done and those pics of her tweeting and texting in the shades are righteous … but she’s just not the best woman for the job, for me.
I honestly haven’t seen any woman who probably would meet my standard… that goes for many of the most recent male candidates for office as well. In my personal opinion both parties need to make some serious changes to meet the true needs and desires of the whole American population. I feel like we are at a turning point in our history where both parties have to let go of some really old belief systems and get in touch with the way culture and economics is changing. But you’re right, I don’t have a person I would choose over her, just don’t want to pick her for president just because she’s a woman if it’s not the right time or the right person. Thanks for the question, in a perfect world politics can be talked about with a mature and open mind and no hard feelings. :D
… and just to clear up my comment… by “right time” I mean this…. we choose (or should) our political leaders based on the current climate of economics or world issues. For instance if we are in the midst of a war.. we choose someone with expertise in that area or if we are having a hard economic time it would be someone who could help us recover. Anytime is a perfect time for a woman president, forever ago was the perfect time for woman to share the same status and respect as men. Just don’t want to pick Hillary because she’s a woman if she doesn’t have the health for it, the record, or the platform that’s right for the time. FYI, I’m a woman and want to see a woman in office so bad, but not at the risk of making a mistake on the right fit of the person.
- thedailybeast.com readers just made Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "... hotter
- Rilmawen thinks Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "... is Win
- Kprucnal Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "...
- Top Democrat: Hillary Clinton Would "... is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It