1. An invitation to protest Paul Ryan:
2. Initially, there was enthusiasm.
3. But the critics soon began piling on.
4. They tore each other apart over how they ought to best show their support for Obama.
5. The thread turned into a debate about protests and passion in American politics.
6. The difference between effective organizing, and political involvement that is simply self-gratifying.
7. One individual brought MLK and the Selma marches into the conversation.
8. There were attempts at de-escalating the argument.
9. But the internal bickering ultimately turned some Obama supporters off for good.
11. “This is how elections get lost,” wrote one listserv member.
In The News Today
- Doctors Without Borders says 19 people died after a U.S. airstrike caused possible collateral damage at a hospital in Afghanistan. ›
- The Catholic Church fired high-ranking Vatican official Monsignor Krzysztof Charamsa. He came out as gay on Saturday. ›
- Hundreds of rescue workers in Guatemala dug through rubble, searching for signs of life after a mudslide killed at least 56 people. ›