1. Meet Ronan Nelson.
3. Last year, the student at California’s Cathedral Catholic High School suffered a major rugby injury that crushed his spine and left him paralyzed.
5. Now meet Taylor Cunningham.
7. On March 17, Taylor was badly injured when an alleged drunk driver drove in the wrong direction and rammed head-on into the minivan Taylor was in with her mother and two little sisters.
9. Taylor spent 17 days in a coma and a total of 75 days in the hospital. Her friends feared Taylor, who loved to dance, might never walk again.
11. But with a contagious optimism, both Taylor and Ronan awed their friends and family by vowing to do whatever it took to move forward.
13. On Sept. 27, their courage was rewarded when they were crowned Homecoming King and Queen at their San Diego high school.
NBC News / Via Rachel Zarrell/BuzzFeed
16. And despite their challenging setbacks, the two of them are both completely inspiring.
18. “I’m always positive and it really comes in handy,” Taylor said. “It’s been really hard, but everything is doable.”
20. Ronan added: “Even if you are physically disabled or mentally disabled – any kind of handicap – you’re able to do anything. Anything is possible. Don’t get down on yourself, really.”