1. When British couple Mandy and Gary Jones felt like their marriage was “stuck in a rut,” they didn’t take the conventional route of marriage counseling to save it. Instead, they went back to a different time: the 1950s.
3. The couple from Staffordshire, England, says that ever since wife Mandy, 49, began to spend her free time cooking, cleaning, and darning her husband’s socks, their marriage has been saved.
“Gary and I were sick of the same routine and we were bickering on a daily basis,” Mandy told the Daily Mail of their decision five years ago to remodel their lifestyle. “We spent our weekends drinking at the pub until the early hours and it just got so boring.”
5. The two, who bonded over a love for the era when they met 30 years ago, even dress in vintage frocks, drive a 1949 Chevrolet, and have decked out their home like an old diner, complete with an actual jukebox that plays rockabilly tunes.
Mandy, a part-time caterer, perfected vintage hairstyles and learned to make her own retro-style clothes to impress her husband.
7. Mandy said she believes all women should adopt the ’50s lifestyle to keep their man happy.
“It may seem strange and we get the odd nasty comment, but this way of life works for us and has saved our marriage,” she said. “…Since we started living like this I’ve been a better wife and Gary and I are closer than ever.”
She added, “1950s marriages definitely work better than marriages these days.”
9. Now, whenever Gary, 48, comes home from work, Mandy has a ’50s-style dinner waiting on the table.
“The divorce rate is so high at the moment and it never used to be in the past,” Mandy said. “We should all take advice from our grandparents and start living the Fifties way.”
- At least 30 people were killed in twin bomb blasts during a peace rally near the main train station in Turkey's capital. ›
- President Obama visited Oregon to meet with victims' families after last week's deadly campus shooting. Gun-rights activists protested his visit. ›
- The U.S. ended its $500 million program that trains and equips Syrian rebels in their fight against ISIS. ›