1. The New Jersey teenager who sued her parents for college tuition, claiming they kicked her out of the house at 18, has moved back into their Lincoln Park home, NJ.com reports.
New Jersey student Rachel Canning attends a hearing in her lawsuit against her parents Sean and Elizabeth Canning in Morristown, N.J., on March 4.
3. The 18-year-old “has returned home and reunited with her parents and siblings. Her return home is not contingent on any financial and/or other considerations,” her parents’ lawyer Angelo Sarno said in a statement.
Sean and Elizabeth Canning cry during the hearing.
5. In a highly publicized case that became a media frenzy, a judge rejected Rachel’s request that her parents, Sean and Elizabeth, should pay her private school tuition, $650 a week in child support, and her legal fees.
“Do we want to establish a precedent where parents are living in constant fear of establishing basic rules of the house?” Judge Peter Bogaard asked.
The ruling regarding her college fees was delayed until April 22.
Canning (center) is surrounded by her friends following a hearing in her lawsuit.
7. The animosity between Rachel and her parents seemed to stem from them suggesting she break up with her boyfriend, as well as follow curfew, be respectful to her sisters, and do household chores.
It was unclear whether Rachel had been kicked out or whether she chose to leave on her own.
Since leaving the house in October, the honor student had been living with a friend and classmate, whose father, John Inglesino, was funding her lawsuit.
Rachel speaks to her friend’s father John Inglesino during a hearing in her lawsuit.
9. “We’re heartbroken, but what do you do when a child says, ‘I don’t want your rules but I want everything under the sun and you to pay for it?’” Sean Canning said at the time.
Rachel is sworn in during a hearing.
- Tunisia's president declared a state of emergency a week after a deadly terror attack on a beach hotel.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️