1. This is Karlesha Thurman, a 25-year-old mom and recent graduate of California State University Long Beach.
3. The proud mom shared this photo on the Facebook page of Black Women Do Breastfeed of her breast-feeding her daughter while attending her college graduation.
4. When the Black Women Do Breastfeed page reposted her photo, the picture of Thurman went viral.
6. While a lot of comments on the page were supportive, many began writing harsh judgments of the young mom as the photo spread.
14. Not to mention some good old-fashioned slut-shaming.
16. “I am so shocked that it has gotten this much attention,” Thurman told BuzzFeed.
But the grad struck back by retweeting her (many) supporters, who chided those who judged her for taking care of her baby and herself.
19. Thurman wrote on Facebook that her daughter helped motivate her through college, and that’s why she decided to post the picture, and thanked the group for sharing her proud moment.
I found out I was pregnant my last year of college, had my daughter one week into my last semester, she was my motivation to keep going, so me receiving my BA was OUR moment, so glad I captured the moment and so glad you shared it with the world so thank you again.
- Greece will decide on Sunday whether they will accept austerity measures as a condition of a bailout that may stave off an imminent financial and economic crisis.
- Some 150 migrants stranded in the French city of Calais stormed the Channel Tunnel in an attempt to make it to British territory.
- It took a while, but an English national soccer team has finally defeated Germany in a major tournament. England took third place with a 1-0 win over the top-ranked German team in the FIFA Women's World Cup ⚽️
- Chile defeated Argentina on penalties to win the Copa America tournament. It's the first ever trophy for Chile in the 99 years of the Copa ⚽️