1. High school sweethearts Misty and Larry Schaffer had been married since 2008, and Larry never once mentioned Misty’s weight.
3. But when Larry, an Army specialist, was deployed for a year to Afghanistan in 2012, Misty decided to give him a big surprise: She went on a secret yearlong diet.
“I would eat when I was bored,” she said. “I’d eat three huge meals a day, and then snack in between. Sad or happy, I’d turn to food for everything.”
Standing 5 feet 6 inches, Misty reached her heaviest weight at 300 lbs.
5. “I just sat in bed one night and was like, ‘I can do this,’” she told CNN. “‘I need to do this.’”
7. The Leland, N.C., mom cut out junk food from her diet and used portion control to get down from a size 24 to a size 6.
Misty said she would only put pictures on her Facebook shot from her shoulders up so her husband wouldn’t know.
11. Misty’s husband had never seen her weighing less than 220 lbs., even when the two were in high school.
12. And Larry even got two more surprises: first, a long overdue reunion with his 3-year-old daughter, Nevaeh.
13. And second, a new house, which Misty bought while he was overseas.
14. The best part for Misty? Her husband finally being able to pick her up for the first time.
“A lot of people look at it like, ‘Why is that such a big deal?’” she said. “But [when] you never thought you’d see that moment, that somebody can pick you up … it is a big deal.”