Promoted

Congo Health Minister Confirms Two Deaths From Ebola

The deaths are this outbreak’s first cases reported outside of West Africa. More than 1,400 people have died so far, in the virus’ deadliest outbreak ever.

Health workers at ELWA’s isolation camp in Liberia. Stringer / Reuters

Congo’s health minister Felix Kabange Numbi said today that two deaths have been confirmed to be caused by Ebola, the first cases reported outside of West Africa since the outbreak began, the AP reports.

Ebola is suspected by Congolese officials to have killed 13 people in the Central African country, Numbi said, including five health workers. Besides the two dead, he said 11 people were sick and in isolation.

It is unclear if the two cases are linked to the West Africa outbreak, but Numbi said the infections were a different strain, AP reports.

The region where the samples were pulled has had an outbreak of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis that killed 70 people, the World Health Organization said. Eight of those people were tested for Ebola, with two tests coming back positive.

WHO says the speed and extend of the recent outbreak, which has claimed 1,427 lives, has been “unprecedented,” reports the BBC.

Check out more articles on BuzzFeed.com!

Rachel Zarrell is a news editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Rachel Zarrell at rachel.zarrell@buzzfeed.com
 
 
Here Are The Top Stories
  • The U.S. government is investigating possible unlawful coordination by some airlines to keep prices high ✈️
  • Leaders of the U.S. Episcopal Church, which appointed an out gay bishop in 2003, have voted to let clergy perform religious same-sex marriages.
  • The Women's World Cup final is set: Team USA and Japan will play on Sunday ⚽️
Get The News App

More News

More News

Now Buzzing