1. A young boy who was kidnapped from outside his Atlanta home told reporters he was freed after he annoyed his kidnapper by singing a gospel song for three straight hours.
2. The ordeal began late last month when Willie Myrick was outside his home caring for his chihuahua, Goldy, when he said he saw a few dollars in his yard.
“I was walking over here by the tree. I picked up the money and the man got out of his car and threw me in his car,” the now-10-year-old told WSB-TV.
3. While in the car, Willie said he sang the gospel song “Every Praise” for hours, until the kidnapper kicked him out of the car.
“He opened the door and threw me out,” Myrick told Atlanta television station WXIA-TV. “He told me not to tell anyone.”
After he was freed, the boy went to several homes asking for help, with the first person actually turning him away. An elderly man eventually let him in to call the cops and his godmother.
4. The community is offering a $10,000 reward to find the kidnapper, described as having dreadlocks and being in his mid- to late-twenties, wearing a Nike shirt, khaki shorts, and white Air Force 1 sneakers.
The man was driving a “gray four-door Honda Civic with no interior carpeting and an exposed metal floor,” the Daily News reported.
5. The scary ordeal led to a happy birthday for the little boy, who got to meet the Grammy-winning singer of “Every Praise,” Hezekiah Walker.
When he heard the story, Walker flew from New York to Atlanta for Willie’s 10th birthday celebration at Mt. Carmel Baptist Church, which doubled as a town hall meeting to educate locals on the dangerous situation.
“I just want to hug him and tell him I love him,” Walker told WXIA-TV.
6. The Atlanta Police Department told BuzzFeed that the investigation is still active. Police are also asking anyone with any information to call CrimeStoppers at 404-577-TIPS.
Read the police report here.
- With head clerk Kim Davis jailed, Rowan County issued its first same-sex marriage license since the Supreme Court's June decision. ›
- After mounting pressure from other European countries, Britain will accept thousands more refugees from UN camps bordering Syria. ›
- A drowned Syrian boy, whose picture caused outrage around the world, has been buried together with his mother and 5-year-old brother. ›