1. The Iranian president Hassan Rouhani is just like the rest of us. He knows he should be watching what’s going on in Iraq, but there’s football on.
2. Amid news the UK was to reopen its embassy in Tehran, he managed to convince David Cameron and Ed Miliband to come over for the game. No beers though, of course.
Paul Hamilos is the world features editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Paul Hamilos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In The News Today
- The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan acknowledged that American forces mistakenly struck a hospital in Kunduz, killing 22 people. ›
- Russia is reportedly preparing to send ground troops to aid Syria's campaign against rebel forces. ›
- Takaaki Kajita and Arthur McDonald won the Nobel Prize in physics for their discovery that neutrinos have mass. ›