3. But on the day of the raid, the president left the team in the Situation Room to play cards, according to his former body man, Reggie Love. (Comments begin at 6:15 mark.)
Love explained Obama typically worked a “half-day” on weekends, but on the day of the raid he worked “the entire day at the White House” until almost midnight.
“We sat around in the private dining room,” Love told a small gathering of graduate students and faculty from the UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs.
“Most people were like down in the Situation Room and he [President Obama] was like, ‘I’m not going to be down there, I can’t watch this entire thing.’ So he, myself, Pete Souza, the White House photographer, Marvin [Nicholson], we played, we must have played 15 games of spades.”
Love later recalled the games were interrupted by a steady stream of dispatches from the staff in the Situation Room.
5. He then revealed the stunning news to the world in a speech from the East Room of the White House.
6. Update 5:45 p.m. EDT 8/15/13 — Original video of interview deleted.
The original video featuring Reggie Love speaking to The Artists and Athletes Alliance was removed from YouTube without explanation after this story was posted. BuzzFeed has reached out to the group seeking a reason for its deletion. A copy of the video has been substituted in its place.
- Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have won the New Hampshire primaries for the Democratic and Republican nominations 🇺🇸
- The Supreme Court put on hold President Obama's climate change plan, which aims to curb carbon dioxide emissions from power plants.
- And thank the Force: Disney's profits hit an all-time high of $2.9 billion after the latest *Star Wars* film release ✨💰