1. “Lightning like this is almost unheard of, especially in the summer,” Mike Konvolinka said with this stunning photo in Pacifica, Calif.
2. The storms were captured over San Francisco near the iconic Sutro Tower.
8. Lightning could be seen from AT&T Park while the Giants played.
Lightening at the Giants game. #sfgiants
12. Lightning could be seen mixing with a layer of fog in the Bernal Heights neighborhood.
18. The National Weather Service recorded more than 11,000 lightning strikes across the area throughout the evening.
19. But despite all the storms in the sky, very little rain actually fell.
Despite all of the storms, 0.12” in #Sunnyvale is the highest rainfall report from this evening. #bayareawx/ Via
- The U.S. is investigating airlines for "unlawful coordination." This may be related to high ticket prices, the Associated Press reports.
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry will travel to Cuba later this summer for the opening of a U.S. embassy there.
- Nicholas Winton, who saved more than 650 Jewish children from the Holocaust, died at 106.
- Mozambique implemented a new criminal code that removes a colonial-era law criminalizing homosexuality.