1. “Lightning like this is almost unheard of, especially in the summer,” Mike Konvolinka said with this stunning photo in Pacifica, Calif.
2. The storms were captured over San Francisco near the iconic Sutro Tower.
8. Lightning could be seen from AT&T Park while the Giants played.
Lightening at the Giants game. #sfgiants
12. Lightning could be seen mixing with a layer of fog in the Bernal Heights neighborhood.
18. The National Weather Service recorded more than 11,000 lightning strikes across the area throughout the evening.
19. But despite all the storms in the sky, very little rain actually fell.
Despite all of the storms, 0.12” in #Sunnyvale is the highest rainfall report from this evening. #bayareawx/ Via
- At least three people have died in South Carolina due to severe rainfall. More than 11 inches of rain fell on the city in 48 hours. ›
- President Obama says the U.S. has launched a full investigation into the airstrikes that killed 22 people at a hospital in Afghanistan on Saturday. ›
- The World Bank announced that for the first time it is forecasting the rate of extreme global poverty to drop below 10% in 2015 . ›