1. Lian Kao, a Taiwanese undergraduate, lost her sight after an army of single-cell organisms devoured her eyeballs after she didn’t take her contacts out for six months, the Daily Mail reports.
2. Doctors said the 23-year-old had kept her contacts in at all times, even in the swimming pool.
3. Not taking your contacts out apparently creates the perfect breeding ground for amoebas.
“Contact lens wearers are a high risk group that can easily be exposed to eye diseases,” expert ophthalmologist Wu Jian-Liang told the Daily Mail. “A shortage of oxygen can destroy the surface of the epithelial tissue, creating tiny wounds into which the bacteria can easily infect, spreading to the rest of the eye and providing a perfect breeding ground.”