1. Actress Mallika Sherawat was giving a press conference when a local female journalist called her out on once saying that India was “regressive and depressing.”
2. “I think you need to do your homework well,” Sherawat replied. And then let loose.
3. “Indian society is regressive for women.”
4. “With female feticide, infanticide happening on an almost daily basis; with gang rapes making the headlines of almost every newspaper; with honor killings…”
5. “I think it’s a very, very regressive state for women.”
6. “And I stand by it!”
7. The journalist fought back, saying that by focusing on the state of women, Sherawat was giving India a bad name abroad.
8. “As a woman, I should lie about the state of women that’s in our country? So I didn’t lie. I said the truth.”
9. Watch the whole testy exchange here:
H/T Jerome Taylor
Miriam Elder is the world editor for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York. Her secure PGP fingerprint is 7217 BCE0 F2F3 1AD8 943A B334 208B 3E4A 03F4 6E9D
Contact Miriam Elder at email@example.com
Here Are The Top Stories
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Boko Haram has killed 97 people at mosques in northeastern Nigeria, a government official told AP.
- Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, a Democrat with a military background, is running for president.
- Tidal is now the only place you can stream Prince's music. He's pulled his work from other services, like Spotify.