قاعة كنيسة العذرا كانت مخصصة لفرح بالامس واليوم تستقبل جثامين جنازة ضحايا هجوم الامس.
1. It was a moment of celebration that quickly turned to grief.
2. Four members of the same family were gunned down over the weekend as they celebrated a wedding in one of Cairo’s most well-known Coptic churches.
3. On Monday, thousands of Egyptians turned out for the funeral of the two girls, aged 8 and 12; their cousin; and their mother.
4. Family members mourned the dead, as well as the 18 others wounded.
5. Amid the heartbreaking scenes of a family torn apart in the latest sectarian attack to hit Egypt was anger that more is not being done to protect the country’s Christian community.
7. Attacks on Egypt’s Christian community have been on the rise since the Muslim Brotherhood was swept out of office by the military three months ago.
In a sign of how deeply divided Egypt has become, officials quickly traded barbs over who was to blame.
Egypt’s Prime Minister Hazem Beblawi condemned the attack, calling it a “despicable criminal act,” and said security forces were searching for the assailants.
Major Gen. Hani Abdel Latif, spokesperson for the Interior Ministry, denied on Monday that the attack was sectarian in nature. He said it was likely carried out by militant Islamist groups.
The Muslim Brotherhood meanwhile blamed Egypt’s “military backed authority,” criticizing in sharp language the lack of security for Christians on their English website.