A local vigilante group says that Boko Haram militants kidnapped about 100 boys and men from a remote town in northeastern Nigeria on Aug. 10, Bloomberg News reported Thursday.
Boko Haram attacked the town of Doron Baga in Nigeria’s Borno state on Sunday, killing 10 people and kidnapping dozens more, the group told Bloomberg. A member of a local vigilante group, Hassan Ibrahim, told Bloomberg that he feared Boko Haram would forcibly conscript the men to join the group’s insurgency against the Nigerian state.
The extremist Islamist group has already killed an estimated 2,053 people in the first half of 2014, according to Human Rights Watch.
In April, Boko Haram kidnapped more than 300 schoolgirls from another town in Borno state. International outrage ensued, and the Nigerian government pledged to extend efforts to stop Boko Haram and protect Nigeria’s citizens. Months later, more than 200 of the kidnapped girls remain missing, while Boko Haram has continued to raid towns and terrorize residents in its stronghold of northeastern Nigeria.
- Austria and Germany will allow people seeking refuge from the war in Syria to move across the countries' borders with Hungary, where Syrians' passage had been blocked. ›