Mitt Romney’s recently-hired foreign policy spokesman, Ric Grenell, has left the campaign amid controversy surrounding his sexuality and combative Twitter feed.
The Washington Post’s Jen Rubin first reported Grenell’s departure, suggesting that he was “hounded” from the campaign by “anti-gay conservatives.”
Romney campaign manager Matt Rhoades seemed to reject this suggestion in a statement: “We are disappointed that Ric decided to resign from the campaign for his own personal reasons. We wanted him to stay because he had superior qualifications for the position he was hired to fill.”
But Grenell appeared to hint at the uproar created by social conservatives — like high-profile anti-gay activist Bryan Fischer — as a reason for his leaving:
“I have decided to resign from the Romney campaign as the Foreign Policy and National Security Spokesman. While I welcomed the challenge to confront President Obama’s foreign policy failures and weak leadership on the world stage, my ability to speak clearly and forcefully on the issues has been greatly diminished by the hyper-partisan discussion of personal issues that sometimes comes from a presidential campaign. I want to thank Governor Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team.”
Meanwhile, the Obama campaign wasted in no time in attacking the Republican Party for the incident. Shortly after the news broke, Teddy Goff, the campaign’s digital director, posted this Tweet:
Today we learned that in the year 2012, a Republican nominee for President can't have a gay person as spokesmanâ Teddy Goff (@teddygoff) May 1, 2012
Then Bill Burton, co-founder of pro-Obama Super PAC Priorities USA, weighed in with this Tweet:
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- thedailybeast.com readers just made Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... hotter
- bxmedic19 Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... and thinks it’s Trashy
- Lilyb Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... and thinks it’s Fail
- deanb6 thinks Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... is Fail
- benr11 Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... and thinks it’s Fail & Trashy
- LegendOfBacon thinks Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... is Fail
- Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
Come on, religious freaks. Grow up. Who cares if the guy was gay. He’s a fiscal conservative. If he quit on his own, thats his business. Gays are here, deal with it like adults. You ain’t gonna fix it by attacking them. I’m not gay, by the way. I just do not care what a person sexual preferance is.
- Daniel R. Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... and thinks it’s Fail
Anti Homosexual is anything that is not 100% in compliance with the current battle cry from the homosexual agenda. just look at the tweets and comments as proof. evidently noone read this article. the man quit on his own. if he is not comfortable in his choices enough to defend them, maybe its time to rethink them.
- jmdunn2 thinks Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... is Fail
- davidn10 thinks Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... is Fail
- blairu thinks Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... is Trashy
- Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out... is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
- tracyd7 Romney's Gay Spokesman Forced Out...
Lets not go pretending this had anything to do with his Twitter account. Really, tell me which is more likely- that Romney ditched him because he tweeted insults about Rachel Maddow and Romney was worried about how liberals might react, or that Romney ditched him because numerous powerful conservative organizations made it clear that he wasn’t acceptable to them because he was gay?